Mrs O'Ds Bread & Butter Pudding
8 x O'Donohues "day old" Sliced Batch Loaf (crusts removed)
9 x large free range eggs
70g Caster Sugar
500ml Full fat milk
1 x Vanilla Pod, scored lengthways and seeds removed (or a capful of vanilla essence)
5 tblsp of good quality fine - cut marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4
- Grease or butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Butter both sides of each slice of bread and make 4 marmalade sandwiches (thinly spread the marmalade as you still need some for later)
- Cut into triangles or fingers and layer the bread into your dish
- Separate the eggs, reserving all 9 yolks and just 1 of the egg whites.
- Whisk the egg yolks and egg white together with the caster sugar.
- Gently heat the milk and cream in a saucepan with the vanilla seeds and pod (vanilla essence if you can't get vanilla pod)
- Pour the milk, cream and vanilla into the eggs, stirring all the time.
- Remove the vanilla pod and then pour the mixture over the bread and leave to soak for at least 20 min.
- Place your dish into a roasting tray and pour enough boiling water into the tray to come halfway up the side of the dish.
- Put it in the preheated oven for appox 45 mins or until the custard has just set.
- Gently warm the rest of the marmalade in a saucepan.
- Remove the dish from the oven and brush the marmalade over the top of the bread.
- Pop the dish back into the oven for another 5 - 10 min.
- Allow to cool down a bit so it can firm up slightly before serving.
30 Years in business!! From them until...
Win a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 in association with National...
Penny Loaves, Frozen Bread and the future. Lets talk...
5 Winners in the Great Taste Awards AND stellar performance...
O'Donohues Bakery is partnering with Linked Finance to...
Our new Webpage is here but don't forget you can also...